Saturday, December 25, 2010

Merry Christmas to All, and to All a Good Night

So it's here- the end of Christmas. Another approximately 10 months until I can be focused on Christmas yet again (the Christmas season starts the day after Halloween in my world). I get VERY depressed on Christmas evening. The tree looks naked without the presents under it, the lights and trees on storefronts seem to disappear overnight, as if the holiday never happened, the only remains being 90% Christmas cards and candy canes. The only thing I can think to do is curl up on the couch, watch a claymation movie, and pretend that maybe tomorrow I'll wake up and it'll be Christmas again. 


But I can't dwell. I'll literally start to cry, and it'll be too much. I will use that as a segue though, to other people who cry during Christmas. 
My sister's kids. Merry effing Christmas. 
When I saw this picture at my sister's this morning, I almost died. Baby Will is crying, because he's a baby. That's ok. Lila is looking angelic and quiet. Sam is trying to run for his life, and Jackson is grabbing him, trying to get this freaking ridiculous picture taking over with. Santa looks like he's really had it. These are the sort of pictures that are shared simply for the purpose of making other people smile. 


So with that, Merry Christmas. And as I listen to the John Denver and the Muppets Christmas Album for the 11th time today, I'll share one of my favorite Christmas lyrics. 


I don't know if you believe in Christmas
or if you have presents underneath a Christmas tree
but if you believe in love
that will be more than enough
for you to come and celebrate with me
for I have held the precious gift that love brings
even though I never saw a Christmas star
I know there is a light I have felt it burn inside
and I have seen it shining from afar

Because this is really how I feel about Christmas. I'm not a particularly religious person, and I've certainly had a panic attack sitting in church on Christmas Eve, realizing I don't even know why I believe in this, or if I even DO believe in this. Obviously, Christmas is a celebration of Jesus being born. But it's also a celebration of hope, a symbol of how people and families really can come together even if they drive each other crazy. And that "light that burns inside" can be something, anything, just the feeling that there is something more out there, even if today and tomorrow you might define that thing differently. 

And on that note, have a very Merry Christmas, and I can't wait for next year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment