Thursday, November 25, 2010

Misty Mountain Hop

Happy Thanksgiving- from what looks like the other end of the world, or something out of the Lord of the Rings. There's tiny icicles hanging from all branches of the trees, which didn't really come out in the picture sadly.



But it is beautiful! Happy Deep Creek Lake, Maryland with what ended up being a smaller family gathering than expected. My family has a tradition of celebrating Thanksgiving the weekend BEFORE Thanksgiving for a slew of reasons noted by my dad: less lines at the grocery, easier coordination among family and work...... That's really it besides that we've been doing it like that forever. This year, however, my wonderful cousin April BK got married the weekend before Thanksgiving, and my sister and her kids couldn't come because of a family emergency. Plans had to be rearranged.

So, instead of conforming to cooking Thanksgiving ON Thanksgiving, my dad has given up on Thanksgiving altogether. We are being "that" family and going to some sort of Thanksgiving buffet, and eating steak tomorrow because naturally my brothers and I don't eat enough red meat on our own. I have to say, I don't know how I feel about fake Thanksgiving. Less stressful for sure, but seriously lacking on tradition. Not sure if I'm on board. We'll just have to see. But now it's off to Thanksgiving lunch (hooray lunch hour), then an afternoon of hiding from the sounds of football games. Luckily, the woods gave me some serious crafting ideas, so there might be some fun projects that appear out of this trip.

Gobble Gobble! (Or whatever a tofurky might say too)

No comments:

Post a Comment